The Counterpoint

October 05, 2004

VP Debate thoughts

As I mentioned last night, this past weekend was a long one. My uncle died on Saturday, after his two month (it seemed like two weeks) battle with cancer. I've got a couple thoughts I want to write about that a little later, but not right now.

The vice presidential debate is ready to kickoff from Cleveland tonight. I won't be watching it, since I will be gone. But I have serious reservations that we will see any major developments for either campaign.

There are two possible scenarios I see happening. The first is that John Edwards will push some voters away from Kerry. The second is that Cheney will draw some voters to Bush. People think Edwards is a smart, likeable guy, but not many people know much about him and he hasn't been around for long. Cheney has years of experience (he was once considered president-material, remember) that a lot of people don't really know about, and apparently his style can be convincing (Via Instapundit).

The reason I suggest that we won't see anything beyond those two scenarios is this: Edwards has nowhere to go but down, and Cheney has nowhere to go but up.

Of course, in all honesty I doubt there will be too much of a bump either way. The American people don't elect a vice president, they elect the set. It's either Kerry-Edwards or Bush-Cheney, and generally speaking, nobody cheers for a team because of the second-string guys.

I am, however, going to tape the debate, because I live and breathe this stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home