The Counterpoint

November 11, 2004

Cy resides in Minnesota

THIS is the least surprising thing to happen in quite awhile. Any legitimate baseball fan knew this was coming, given his astounding year:

Santana, who went 20-6 and led the AL with a 2.61 ERA and 265 strikeouts, became the first unanimous Cy Young winner since Arizona's Randy Johnson two years ago and the first in the AL since Boston's Pedro Martinez in 2000. He is the 18th unanimous winner overall, the seventh in the AL.

Santana was 13-0 with a 1.21 ERA in 15 starts after the All-Star break, mastering his changeup.
That's tough to argue with. Even runner-up Curt Schilling endorsed him. I wish I could find the story, but after a lot of Googling I still had no luck. Maybe somebody else out there will have more luck.

Anyway, congrats to Johan. I knew this guy was special from the first time I saw him pitch, which was a spot-start about four years ago, and I made sure I told everyone I knew. I just wish I would've bought a Santana jersey before he became such a massive star. Ah, well; life goes on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home