The Counterpoint

October 05, 2004

On law

I now officially have a probation officer.

Do you realize we live in a society where people serve champagne to underage individuals at a wedding and then give them minor-consumption citations when they walk out of the building?

I was a groomsman at my buddy's wedding in August. I turn 21 in December, so I was technically committing a crime when I had a glass of champagne with dinner. You'd think that most cops would be cool about something like that. But when a couple of us went out to a friend's car, we were ambushed by security. One of the guys I was with had a beer in his hand. I did not. The security guard was pretty belligerent when I told him I wasn't drinking, and he eventually called out a couple of cops who gave us both minors (in addition to another guy who was inside at the time, but had the alcohol in his trunk). The girl who drove us home that night was roughly five times as drunk as anyone of us.

Maybe we weren't the most honest, upstanding youths that day. But wouldn't you think that cops would be cooler about weddings, especially when, out of the three of us, none had more than two beers (and two of us didn't have any)? Maybe I am just dreaming...

Either way, that one glass of champagne has now cost me $365 in fees, plus 25 hours of community service, three hours in a mandatory "chemical intelligence" class, and one year of probation. Again, I turn 21 in just over two months. That's our law system for you. Sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home