The Counterpoint

October 08, 2004

Baseball, Politics, and Hockey

IMPORTANT NOTE:
If you are around the Twin Cities tomorrow night and want a ticket to the Gopher Mens hockey game vs. Denver, email me ASAP. It's probably best that I know you, if only for payment reasons. Krystle, myself, and two other people are going down to the game, and a fifth ticket suddenly became available. The game is at 7:00, and the tickets are club-level.

***

Here are some thoughts on the debate, courtesy of Instapundit and Allah.

I thought Bush looked much better than the previous debate, which doesn't say much. He seemed more composed and impassioned during his speeches, which is a big improvment from his disconnected, fatigued look from the last debate. When I started watching (which was maybe a half an hour in) I thought he was being to forceful or condescending to the audience, and Kerry seemed more together and likeable. The more I watched, though, the more I began to see the roles reverse. Bush was the one that seemed more regular and likeable, while Kerry seemed more uncaring and dispassionate.

On the whole I'd say it was roughly even, with a slight edge to Bush on delivery.

One final note on the debate:I didn't enjoy the town hall format. It looked cheap to me; like a set you would see at a fair or something.

Update: What did the folks at Powerline think? Go read and find out. They're good reads; after all, there is a reason those guys are the best.

Update 2: My girlfriend watched the debate with me, and she posted her unique take on it over at her blog. Granted that I am biased, but I think it's quite hilarious.

***

The Twins game was also on tonight. I turned it in about the fourth inning, when the score was 3-1. When I turned it back after the debate, it was in the 8th inning with the Yankees up 8-1. Over at QWERTY, I blogged about how game two was mismanaged. That's turning out to be even more important now, since the Twins will have to win in Yankee stadium to advance. Santana will win at home Saturday afternoon. That's practically a given. But that means the former Ace, Brad Radke, will have to win in NY. Can it be done? Yes. Is it a tough situation? You bet. *Will* they get it done? I don't want to jinx anything.

Meanwhile, former Twin-disappointment-turned-Boston-superstar, David Ortiz, hit another walk-off homer for the Red Sox. The difference between this one and all the others is the ALCS, which they advanced to because of his most recent blast. Why couldn't the Twins have THAT Ortiz on the team, rather than the one that was injured 95% of the time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home