The Counterpoint

December 03, 2004

College bias

As a college student I spend a lot of time in the library. I am in there at least every other day, and occasionally more than that.

Anyway, as I leave I always check the "free" bins for any interesting books and magazines they may have. Usually these searches come up empty, and rarely are there any items newer than 2002 in the bins. But lately I have noticed that there have been current, brand new issues of National Review on top of the pile. I checked the magazine racks and found that NR is the only *real* conservative magazine the college subscribes too.

I don't especially love the magazine; I read it infrequently at best, although that may change if the school keeps throwing the new issues in their freebie pile. Still, I find it interesting that the school is giving away brand new issues of the only conservative magazine they have, while keeping the shelves stocked up on liberal magazines. We wouldn't want to poison the students' minds, would we?

Of course, there is at least an 80% chance I am reading too much into this. But it is interesting never-the-less.

1 Comments:

At December 3, 2004 at 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought conservatives didn't read? At least that was the admission from President Bush, lol.

But surely there's a logical explanation besides the immediate knee-jerk. Maybe they didn't subscribe, but the magazine is sending free issues on a trial basis (postal spam, essentially), thus the toss-outs.

I doubt the library is averse to free thought. Even the U of M, which is assumed to be liberal, has subscribed to National Review and The New Republic for years. Just food for thought.

Carl
p.s. How could there be any conservatives left if liberals have supposedly been 'poisoning the well' for so long?
p.p.s. "college subscribes too" requires only one "o."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home