The Counterpoint

October 27, 2004

The end of an era

It's about time. Seriously.

I will admit, though, that a sick and twisted part of me was hoping for a comeback in the bottom of the ninth followed by three consecutive St. Louis wins, but I also realize that the complaining and moaning that Red Sox fans participate in would grow exponentially.

Still, there is a part of me that is disappointed the Red Sox won. Watching Boston lose is part of baseball tradition; each year we get to hear all about the curses and the missed opportunities and all of the fans who won't get to see their team win the Series in their lifetimes. It's part of the nostalgia that makes it fun to love the game.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled for people like Bill Simmons who have devoted their lives to this team while getting nothing (in terms of hardware) in return. I still remember the way I felt when the Golden Gopher hockey team won their first national title after a 23 year drought. That's 1/3 as long as the Red Sox drought was, and it was still incredible. It's a feeling that I hope every sports fan gets to experience at some point. There isn't much like it.

Of course, that doesn't apply to fans of teams like the Yankees, Lakers, etc. If you win too often you start to lose appreciation for the feeling. It's called habituation; the more it happens, the more desensitized you'll become.

Anyway, congratulations to the Red Sox organization and, more importantly, to their fans. It's a long time coming. Now shut your mouths; no more complaining about curses, bad luck, stupid managing, etc. I don't want to hear it anymore. Understand?

You're up, Chicago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home