The Counterpoint

October 13, 2004

The race in Minnesota; Teen Executions

Briefly:

  • The Star-Tribune says that the race in Minnesota is about even. We've become an increasingly centrist state, and the Bush campaign has been targeting us as a possible toss-up. But, in all honesty, I would be surprised if Bush won the state. Minnesota hasn't voted republican since Nixon carried the state in 1972. Maybe we've become more of a battleground state in recent elections, but what leads one to believe that anything has *really* changed? Especially in these days where Bush is so loathed by the media and roughly half of the general public? When Minnesota begins voting republican again it will likely be for another landslide winner (like Nixon). Right now I would say (if pressed) that Kerry will take Minnesota by a couple of percentage points (but probably not by the five percent margin the Star-Tribune poll shows).

  • Supreme Court to debate executions of teens. I am not going to weigh in on this yet; maybe sometime tonight. For now, just read the article and think about this: if the government can decide that at 18 you can die for your country (assuming (a) there is a draft or (b) you volunteer for service), then shouldn't that same government be allowed to execute you for taking the life of someone else (assuming (a) the crime is particularly heinous and (b) not in self-defense)? Am I wrong about that? If you think so, use the comments section to tell me why.

    ***

    Tonight: Possibly going to a lecture on journalistic ethics. The debate and the MLB Playoffs are both on as well. I might be back to comment on those. If not, have a good night.

  • 1 Comments:

    At October 13, 2004 at 10:03 AM, Blogger Ginger said...

    I haven't really thought about it until today-- but what makes minnesota the way it is? Why are we so split? Is it the diversity in ethnicity, religion, income, community.... I think it's all of the above and more. I think it will be a tight race. An exciting race. From who I've talked to and what I've read, I think that Kerry will take the MN vote. But not by a lot. That's my prediction. None the less, I still think my vote will count.
    As far as the death penalty goes, that's a toughie. Part of me thinks, rid the world of people who commit extremely violent crimes. But MOST of me thinks that the death penalty is wrong. This is the reason I'm not a republican. The reason I'm not a democrat is because I'm against abortion. I'm pro-life on all sides, you could say. I have a very empathetic heart and I am able to put myself in others' shoes-- sometimes more than I would like to be in their shoes. It wears on me sometimes, and when I think about someone else's pain, it often makes my heart hurt. And then I cry about it. (well, not all the time.) So the empathy I have could be seen as a gift and a curse. I mean-- I think Saddam is an awful man, who had some very evil intentions, and did horrific things to millions of people (voters seem to have a hard time wanting to admit that, these days)-- but I read a few weeks ago that he's "depressed." While he's been awaiting trial, maybe it's finally started to sink in what he's done. Psh, I'd be depressed too if I were him. If you're a person who believes in heaven and hell, you're a person who thinks that you're judgement time will come after you die, and you will then go where best fits for you, or what not. Some people who have avoided the death penalty have turned their lives around, because they have had time to think while they were in prison. --we won't get into how much money it takes to keep them in prison, or what prison life is like-- but I'm hopeful that even people like Saddam could come to regret while he is still alive-- and many other things could happen through that-- forgiveness, closure... other things. Maybe that doesn't do justice to what I believe-- if it doesn't make sense, it's just because I haven't explained it thoroughly. I went through a tough time my freshman year of college where i learned what forgiveness is and how a person can really change for the better, so I think that's where I get my view that people relaly can change if we give them a chance.
    As far as teenagers getting tried for the death penalty... that's a toughie as well. They have so much more life to live, so much more time to think about things, and time to think about who they are. Teenagers never know who they really are, anyway. Most are searching. I couldn't send them to get executed. That's my 2 cents.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home